Sorry this is so long coming. I never was able to get pagemaker to work for me, so, I’ll just post it here. Enjoy!
Outside Fabric: Base (cut one) – 13.5 x 19 inches , Upper (cut two) – 8.75 x 19
Lining Fabric – 30 x 19 inches
Handles: Outside/Lining (cut two each) – 2 x 28 inches
Interfacing: Bag (cut one) 29.5 x 18.5 inches, Handles (cut two) – 1.5 x 28 inches
Normal Sewing Supplies:Sewing Machine, iron/board, scissors, measuring tape, pins
Sewing Note: All seams are 1/4 inch unless stated otherwise.
1. Sew your top outside fabrics to each side of the base fabric along the 19 inch sides, right sides facing. Press seams towards top fabric.
2. Apply interfacing to the wrong side of the pieced outside fabric and outside fabric handles. There should be about 1/4 inch of fabric showing along the borders. Mine is never perfectly lined up so don’t let that frustrate you.
3.On pieced outside fabric, topstitch on along top fabric 1/8 inch from seam that meets with base fabric on both sides.
4. Fold pieced outside fabric in half, wrong sides facing. Line up top/base fabric seams. Press.
5. Fold up bottom fold of base fabric 2 ½ inches. Press.
6. Turn folded and pressed outside fabric over. Open up the top layer of fabric. (You now see wrong side of the fabric and it should be folded in the middle) Press the fold.
7. Turn fabric over again. (You now see the right side of the fabric and the middle is still folded) Take the bottom side of outside fabric and bring it up to meet the top edge. (Right sides are now together with the 2 ½ inch fold in the middle) Press.
8. Sew along the sides of folded outside fabric. Be sure to back stitch at top and bottom.
Repeat steps 4-8 with lining fabric.
Take one outside and one lining strap. Place together right sides facing. Sew up long sides leaving the bottom and top open.
Repeat with second strap.
10. Turn straps right side out with a safety pin or turning tool. Press.
11. Topstitch along the long sides of both sides of each strap ¼ inch from the edge.
12. Locating Strap Placement
Along top of outside bag, top layer only, find the middle. Place pin. (You want a distance of 7 inches between each end of the strap) With measuring tape, position center pin at 3 ½ inches and place a pin at 0 inches and 7 inches.
13. Using the placement pins as guides, pin strap ends to the top layer of bag, on the outside of the pins. Make sure outside fabrics are facing and the strap is not twisted inside the bag. Leave 1 ¼ inches of the strap sticking out of the bag. Double pin so the strap doesn’t shift.
Repeat with second strap on other side of bag.
14. Sew each end of the straps to the bag about 1/8 inch from top of bag.
15. Pressing Lining Bag
Turn lining bag right side out. Press bottom open.
16. Fold bottom flap down. Press.
Place lining bag inside outside bag. (Right sides facing) Match up side seams and pin bags together. Make sure not to pin the bag closed. Sew along the top of bag leaving a 5-6 inch opening between one of the straps. Be sure to back stitch.
17. Turn bag right side out. Press seams along top, tucking opening fabric inside, to prepare to close.
Topstitch 1/8 inch around entire top of bag, closing opening along the way.
Using a quilting guide, topstitch again 1 ¼ inch from top of bag all the way around.
18. Reinforce straps by sewing an X, following the diagram. The circles and vertical lines represent the straps. The top horizontal line is the 1/8 inch topstitch and the second line is the 1 ¼ inch topstitch.
Start and finish by back stitching. Place needle in the down position when you turn corners.
19. Repeat with all other strap ends.
Press outside bag in same manner as steps 15 and 16.
Trim all loose strings and head out to the Library.